2015 Fusion Entire Center Console quit working also Door Windows and Locks quit all at once

West

City
Folsom
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fusion SE
Hello, 2015 Ford Fusion owner, 17,000 original miles car mostly garage kept, very clean good running Fusion. The problem is suddenly the entire Center Console goes out and at the same time the door locks, door window controls all go out at once. So No AC, real problem as it is 100* most days in our summer. No window controls, can't lower a window when the AC goes out. No heated seats, No Radio funtion, dark screen. There may be more features not working but you get the idea. This has happened about 10 times now to us. Ford is offering ZERO. Warranty is out of date. 17,000 original miles and zero help offered.
I think I have figured out this happens sometimes after the driver seat has been adjusted. So I pulled the Driver seat out and checked all connections and grounds. There is a ground wire under the seat that if removed and re attached will solve this issue every time but it is not a fix, just a reset that gets you going again till next time. I have found complaints of others with the exact problem but I have not found a solution yet. One guy said he replaced the seat module and fixed this issue. Maybe that is the problem. Looking for ideas. Thank You Mark ( I reported this on another Ford forum but can't find that link now. ) This started at about 16,000 miles and the car now has 17,500. It does not get driven often. I did install a new battery and checked all connections I could. A wire harness diagram might help.

OP
W

West

City
Folsom
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fusion SE
Thread Starter #2
Now at 22,500 miles. Found if I remove the wire harness connector under the dash, you have to lower the panel under the driver steering wheel. It snaps forward and tilts from the top down, this gives you access to see the fuse box inside the dash, it is on the left of the steering wheel assembly under the dash. The fuse panel has 4 or 5 plugs that attach. I removed these one at a time and inspect I found one white plug, there may be two of the white plugs but one had a little corrosion inside on a couple of the large spade connectors. Cleaning this fixed my problem for a few months and it came back, inspection showed a little more corrosion in this connector. This time I cleaned it with electrical connection cleaner and used a little dielectric grease on the connection. the problem has not come back but it has only been a couple more months. Hoping this helps the next poor soul..

OP
W

West

City
Folsom
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fusion SE
Thread Starter #3
Now more than a year later the problem came back. I have isolated the problem to the HS1 High Speed + Can Bus wire which goes to several modules and the PCM. If this wire is grounded the exact symtems will pop up each and every time. I still have not determined exactly what is causing this wire to ground or if it is one of the modules that is grounding it causing the issue. Tracing the wires based on the wire diagram, trying to find any place where it might be shorted or touching ground. No luck so far. These wires are buried in the wire harness and under carpets, under the center console, buried in the back of the firewall, under the seats, up in the dash, none are easy to get to but they connect many modules. Ford Dealer had the car for 4 days, returned it saying they did not fix it but they did do some Recall repairs that were pending and proudly stated there will be no charge. Now heated seats are dead, Rear Window defog is dead and the driver seat would not adjust anymore. I took apart the driver seat control, re soldered the connections and it now works like new again. Still no Heated Seats, No Rear window defog and the original problem of Center console shut down might still be happening. It is random so hard to find and fix. I have replaced the Data Link module, the BCM, The Radio and FCIM module with no luck so far. I have a quality Scan Tool with bi directional ability, I have Ford Forscan program and I have an oscilloscope so I am tracing the problem best I can but still can't isolate and make sure it is fixed. My scan tool and Forscan can turn on the heated seats but the button on the dash will not turn them on, I replaced the front of the center dash so new buttons and module and it made no change. Still do not know what the Dealer did to kill my heated seats and rear window defogger. Since they did not charge for this work there is no invoice and of course "They did not cause this damage". Hoping someone has an idea how to isolate and repair this issue. I see several Fusion owners have had this complaint but I see no single fix so far. Note: The Can Bus system wires are all twisted together, almost like a braid, this helps hold down electrical interference I understand, so they are easy to spot but this vehicle has 3 different can bus systems HS1, HS2 and HS3, there is another I think it is called the MS Can bus so computer wires run all over these modern cars and feed modules located in every electric device on the car, radio, seats, doors, trunk, all engine systems, body control module and many more.

OP
W

West

City
Folsom
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fusion SE
Thread Starter #4
I finally found a failure in the wire harness. A violet wire with a white stripe is in the harness under the carpet and insulation, runs just in front of the driver seat right on the floor, far left side. A wire loom with 50 or more wires is in this location running from the seat area to the lower dashboard. I lifted this wire harness a little off the floor and saw a little green dust? Looking harder I found one wire, violet with a white stripe that seemed to be the source of the green dust.. When I wiped a green spot off this wire it revealed a small cut in this wire, when peeled back there was no copper wire connecting inside. At some point in life it had been pinched or cut maybe on the assembly line since it is under the carpet and mat? I cut out that section and soldered in a new wire. Note: about 2" past this failure point the Violet and white wire goes into a splice headed towards the center of the driver seat. After the splice the wire is now 2 wires, both are white, one might have had a stripe but I did not take the tape off to verify. Car seems to be FIXED! Even the original No communication with the Rear View Camera is now working. The car has had that scan code since 4,000 miles on the odometer but the cameral always worked so I did not worry too much. So somehow this broken wire communicates with the Can Bus network and somehow it was causing the can bus to shut down. I will report back but this seems to be repaired finally! Separately I replaced the puddle light in the drver side mirror that I found was bad. Who knows which may have caused the issues. IMG_4098.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

West

City
Folsom
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 Ford Fusion SE
Thread Starter #5
I should admit, I worked on this for almost a month to find that damn wire. Replaced several modules for no gain and now a 10 cent wire repair seems to fix the issue. These wires are tiny, the broken wire is maybe 20 or 22 gauge. They should be protected better on assembly.