City
Brownstown
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fusion SE 1.6
P2A01 - O2 Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1, Sensor 2)

I have a 2013 Fusion with the 1.6. This DTC started popping up a couple weeks ago. I replaced the downstream O2 sensor, but it came right back up. I usually do all my own automotive work, so I'm looking for any suggestions on next steps before taking to a mechanic.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Hmm, Any issues with wiring down there?

Usually - "range" usually signals to me the issue is more voltage / electrical than a catalyst downstream emissions issue.

At least the issue of "circuit" being that it reflects trouble getting a voltage reading back from it. A P0136 is more generic and would reflect more issues with the sensor not reading right and out of range - while "circuit" is just that, the circuit used to check Catalyst output downstream - it's pretty specific.

Unless of course the catalytic was attempted to be sawn off when they messed up and broke the harness to the system instead. OR road kill - killing the harness and the sensor still works but no longer communicates. Or, Flooding issues and sensor or it's mounting area is contaminated, cracked or rusted - generating a leak in the system - but again the code you have is pretty specific.

OP
J

jasoncw

City
Brownstown
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Fusion SE 1.6
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t see any wiring damage when I replaced the sensor, but I didn’t complete a thorough inspection. Also no attempt at stealing the cat. Dropping it off for diagnosis tomorrow, hopefully something simple.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Don't be surprised if they suggest a new battery, then you might want to think about cleaning up battery connections for next time.

The issue then is just corrosion - causing the sensor to read out of range - but not at the sensor, somewhere back along the wiring harness to the PCM.

I'll add some more thoughts...

The older days, when dad took the kids out for rides, he used to listen to the ball games on the old AM radio.

So, to help with this diagnosis, some weaker AM stations you hear on the new FM/AM radio - still would exhibit the same noise and fade effects,

So if you can hear noise - spark plug rapping or high-pitched whines and hash noises from the speakers in the Radios AM mode, then you may want to investigate the battery and power connections - each wire sends power somewhere, so they can act like mini antennas picking up noise as well as producing them.

Good connections reduces this effect.

Last edited: