Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Very hard time finding wipers for 2018 SE

Ncoflin

City
Conyer
State
GA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE
I have had my 2018 Fiesta SE since it was new and for some reason just now I am having a very hard time finding replacement wipers. It seems like the 2018 has different wipers than the 2017 year and prior. It’s a small pinch tab connector. I remember getting them from Walmart (Michelin brand) but it seems like whatever Michelin type they sell now is for the hook wiper connectors only. I looked on RockAuto.com but I don’t know if I trust it because it lists the exact same wiper for the 2017 as it does for the 2018 and I have been led to believe those are two different wipers despite the similarity of the models.

Can anyone offer some feedback or advice? Am I correct to say the 2018 Fiesta will be different than the 2017? Does the 2018 just have a weird connector?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
That's news to me, care to share a photo of what you are encountering?

It may be they are out of stock or they upgraded the package but neglected the instructional multi-fold-map that many use to try to pictogram their wipers back onto the car.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I had to replace the driver side blade on my 2016 ST a couple weeks ago. Aftermarket fitment is a problem. I was able to get a Rain X blade that stayed in place. But, i wouldn't say that it "fits".
The clip that pulls down and snaps into the wiper frame is not very secure. Considering it was over $20 for that one blade, and i had to struggle for fifteen minutes to get it to fitted together tightly enough to feel confident that it wouldn't fly off. For a "name brand" product it's pretty cheesy. I am going to put a zip tie on it before I go through an automatic car wash. 20240208_224809.jpg

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, we all seem to agree on how to pull it out...

You Tubes' got a plethora of posts about how to change them - they don't give a lot of details in how to Obtain them so you can re-install new ones...

1707616474242.png

It's getting the right fitment and size (length of blade)
Because some places in the UK sell these as "kits"
all the blades for Front and or Back included in one price.
Nice, but it's overseas, why not here?
Good Question!​

The Fiesta uses two - a longer one of 28" long for the Drivers (Left) side and a shorter length one of 13" in length for the Right (Passenger) side.

But which brand to use?

First you should think about type of blade...Beam (no bracing and has a low-profile) or Standard (uses little beam bracing to hold blade onto the windshield and has a higher profile)- because that changes the "options" of what is available.

This also makes the price to solve it - pretty high. OR at least higher than you'd expect.

I still have the OEM ones - which measure out to be 16" (Passngr) on Right and 25" on Left (Driver) - but this may round up to 26 x 17 for the kind of Blade length you can get.

The "typical mount" they consider for the "Universal fit" is also part of this so it affects the OE versus Universal fit types to select from - I found something interesting that in a way sucks, but also identifies what type of mount and blade combo you can truly use.

So when you go in there (the Part store or the Internet) you'll be surrounded by junk everyone else thinks will fit your car - it may fit - but not your car - in all cases.

So to help you - you have "Button Release" PBR (Push Button Release - Some call this a Push Tab Button or PTB) design and is 22mm in width (see if it will fit a penny inside the arms hook assembly - if it does that's the 22mm wide width) - that might narrow down the choices to further make it easier - I said easier - not Cheaper.
  • You said you have Narrow Tab - So I went and checked mine...
1707621821537.png
Releasing Blade
1707622415142.png
1707623096787.png

Hopefully with the above in mind, you can get to the store and select the correct ones - it is not a "sure thing" when you purchase the Universal fit, for the Universe in that "universal" word, doesn't mean every single arm and mount combo - it means makes of similar fitment for the sizes and lengths - but the mounts that use specific lengths are not universal for all cars - so the adapters they use - you take a guess and your chances - on them.

So Michelin - if they worked before - they should be ok now, but the other brands (ANCO/Trico, Rain X - e&c) may have a better fitment and might cost more but at least you're not scratching up your windshield from the blade twisting and the arm dragging it along trying to wipe when it more like "scrapes" the dirt off your windshield.

I'll be adding to this, running out of daylight for now...stay tuned

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Does Ford sell refills for the OEM wiper frames? I have found complete frames BE8Z-17528-AA (drivers side) & BE8Z-17528-BA(passenger side). Mazda has moved to a refillable unit and the lower cost is one benefit I enjoy on my wifes car. The rubber wiper is removed from the wiper frame and replaced allowing you to maintain the quality OEM mounting design. When I was working in the Ford parts world (in the previous millennium;)) refills were available, however many people didnt realize they were. I had many happy customers when I could get them working wipers for $4-7 instead of replacing with aftermarket at $10-12 or OEM at over$15. I do see refills for Fiestas on ebay & Amazon, but I also have trouble trusting the compatibility.
07031101-kfusadj-001.png
The issue I have with switching to aftermarket wipers is the "universal clip" causes extra points of flex or slop. Not to mention the higher possibility of loosing a wiper at speed when the "cheaply designed" universal clip shows it quality.
The wiper "pin" style or the "j hook" style of years gone by were the only 2 designs that I ever trusted.
I have not replaced wipers yet on my 2011 Fiesta as the OEM wiper do seem to be of good quality, but the day is coming. I believe the original owner had all the service done at the dealer with OEM parts. I may just purchase the OEM units as they seem to last, this would be my suggestion for a hassle free situation. Considering the relatively low cost of wipers, OEMs may be cost effective long term.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I wish that Ford would follow the Honda method of servicing the wiper blades!
But that just isn't going to happen. The ford fiesta wipers are more than $20 each the last time I bought a pair. The part numbers have changed in the past five years when Ford changed the distribution from Ford service parts to the Motorcraft brand. I will visit a dealership parts department and see how they are currently servicing this component. My guess is that it will have at least two adaptor pieces instead of the one specific fit blade assembly.
I really absolutely despise adaptors. The one that keeps my drivers side, Rain X vision blade "clinging" onto the wiper arm is so cheap that i had to wrap a zip tie around it because its retainer clip barely does it's job.

17076672259801542326833062142154.jpg

Last edited: