Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Very very quiet ticking noise when braking.

City
Horningsham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec 64
Hi all.

New to this thread. I've noticed on hot days I can hear a very light click/tink/clink sound when applying or sometimes taking my foot off the brake. It's just one clink each time. I can only hear it when my window is open and it sounds like it's coming from the back, but I can't be sure.

Only just got the car, and apparently it had new pads and disks fit just before I bought it. And new-ish drums at the back. But they look pretty rusted and the inspection said it was all fine.

I'm under warranty, so just wondering if it's anything to worry about or normal something. If I have it inspected I have to pay for the inspection before the warranty agree to fix so I have to be sure there's a problem.

Ford Fiesta Zetec, 64 plate (2014). 1.2

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I must ask, was the car sitting for a while?

Lots of times that "tick-tick-tick" as you slow down, is from the discs, the rust to clean to rust - the tick is the slop or shift of the pad from tight clearance (squeeze) to the more open and less frictional "clear patch" of where the pad rested on the disc when it sat for a while - no water or moisture got between the pads and the disc, but the open air and water rain snow and moisture from fog - gets and attacks the iron in the disc in open air forming rust.

1651802333565.png

May be temporary, but if the vehicle sat or got parked in a deep puddle - the iron/steel of the rotors will rust and generate a "bulge" and rough surface until the vehicle can be driven and that surface can get honed down. Driving it a lot of highway miles can let the pads hone and resurface the discs - but that takes a LOT of miles on a badly rusted disc or even brake drums - they too suffer similar fates - so you'll have to look at your brakes with the wheels off to find marks from the long sit of rust to no rust areas where the pads kept the disc from getting exposed to get the same level of exposure and rust from the elements the rest of the drum or disc got from nature.

Worse case?

Cracked rotor(s) for previous owner neglect and or excessive braking...
1651803778311.png

Last edited:

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
Handy Andy explained it well, and the rears could be sticky, too. Just in a different way.

It may just be that the car sat for a while and needs to get the dirty brakes run in. Brake gently and smoothly for awhile and see if it gets better. Try to isolate the sound. Front or rear?

OP
P
City
Horningsham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec 64
Thread Starter #4
Handy Andy explained it well, and the rears could be sticky, too. Just in a different way.

It may just be that the car sat for a while and needs to get the dirty brakes run in. Brake gently and smoothly for awhile and see if it gets better. Try to isolate the sound. Front or rear?
I must ask, was the car sitting for a while?

Lots of times that "tick-tick-tick" as you slow down, is from the discs, the rust to clean to rust - the tick is the slop or shift of the pad from tight clearance (squeeze) to the more open and less frictional "clear patch" of where the pad rested on the disc when it sat for a while - no water or moisture got between the pads and the disc, but the open air and water rain snow and moisture from fog - gets and attacks the iron in the disc in open air forming rust.

May be temporary, but if the vehicle sat or got parked in a deep puddle - the iron/steel of the rotors will rust and generate a "bulge" and rough surface until the vehicle can be driven and that surface can get honed down. Driving it a lot of highway miles can let the pads hone and resurface the discs - but that takes a LOT of miles on a badly rusted disc or even brake drums - they too suffer similar fates - so you'll have to look at your brakes with the wheels off to find marks from the long sit of rust to no rust areas where the pads kept the disc from getting exposed to get the same level of exposure and rust from the elements the rest of the drum or disc got from nature.

Worse case?

Cracked rotor(s) for previous owner neglect and or excessive braking...

Hi guys. Thanks for this. I believe it sit a while at the dealers, the MOT was around 6 months out when I bought it.
I, myself, have driven it every day near enough since March. Around 1500 miles all in. So when I say just bought this car, I realise time is slipping away from me faster than thought!
I only ever notice it when it's warm outside, and only with the windows down (I have the windows down often, even in the cold!) . It's not every time either. Just perplexing.

I also read it could be shifting pads? The pads where replaced for me, so could they be a smidge too small. Admittedly, I only noticed this after my drive shaft was replaced, maybe they didn't put the pad back in quite properly? Like I say It SOUNDS like back wheels, but could well be the front for all's I can figure!

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
I also read it could be shifting pads? The pads where replaced for me, so could they be a smidge too small. Admittedly, I only noticed this after my drive shaft was replaced, maybe they didn't put the pad back in quite properly? Like I say It SOUNDS like back wheels, but could well be the front for all's I can figure!
There are many reasons for this "knock" - even out of round condition and as you have noticed, even the fitment of the replacement pads can make it loose in the cradle - the clips are supposed to remove most of this but is not a cure all...

1651836457155.png
This is a representative - for parts list locations, identification and placement; see service manual, usage and data rates may apply, use only as directed.

Just for diagnosis, can you use the "E-Brake"? It's the Hand brake to come to a stop using the rear shoes without applying the foot brakes which engage the fronts (all 4) at the same time.

This way, the "tick-tic-tic" - if it still can be heard, and no change in volume may mean just a loose wheel bearing "slapping/falling" into another on the housing holding it and then that is not a big deal - yet, but loose bearing noises are a sign of a different kind of wear not related to brakes - but to the hub. Or an issue with CV-joint (front axle) looseness and wear - again, nothing big, yet...

When you apply the Hand brake, the tic-tic-tick sound will change, if the rear drums are the out of round condition - it will change in volume as well as you may even feel it come thru the cable into the lever as you pull.

As you drive - say 35MPH or 40km and above, the out of round condition can also cause a pulsation in the pedal along with that tic-tic-tick noise. Gently apply pressure to see if you can hear, or feel a shudder even in the steering wheel to help localize this to a given section of the vehicle suspension and drive train - then you KNOW you have a potentially bigger problem where this can turn into a warped rotor or drum real quick from the high spot causing the friction heating unevenly in the rotor - aggravating and accelerating the problem into a dangerous condition.

Last edited:
OP
P
City
Horningsham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec 64
Thread Starter #6
There are many reasons for this "knock" - even out of round condition and as you have noticed, even the fitment of the replacement pads can make it loose in the cradle - the clips are supposed to remove most of this but is not a cure all...

View attachment 6430
This is a representative - for parts list locations, identification and placement; see service manual, usage and data rates may apply, use only as directed.

Just for diagnosis, can you use the "E-Brake"? It's the Hand brake to come to a stop using the rear shoes without applying the foot brakes which engage the fronts (all 4) at the same time.

This way, the "tick-tic-tic" - if it still can be heard, and no change in volume may mean just a loose wheel bearing "slapping/falling" into another on the housing holding it and then that is not a big deal - yet, but loose bearing noises are a sign of a different kind of wear not related to brakes - but to the hub. Or an issue with CV-joint (front axle) looseness and wear - again, nothing big, yet...

When you apply the Hand brake, the tic-tic-tick sound will change, if the rear drums are the out of round condition - it will change in volume as well as you may even feel it come thru the cable into the lever as you pull.

As you drive - say 35MPH or 40km and above, the out of round condition can also cause a pulsation in the pedal along with that tic-tic-tick noise. Gently apply pressure to see if you can hear, or feel a shudder even in the steering wheel to help localize this to a given section of the vehicle suspension and drive train - then you KNOW you have a potentially bigger problem where this can turn into a warped rotor or drum real quick from the high spot causing the friction heating unevenly in the rotor - aggravating and accelerating the problem into a dangerous condition.
Hi!!! So I notice nothing when driving, and I don't think I can replicate the noise with hand brake only. It's literally just a single clink and not necessarily with every brake. Like I can't guarantee every time. Im wondering, even, if it's a hill assist issue. It sounds like someone hitting a nail with a cheap hammer a distance away.

Trying to replicate the noise to my mother today and I managed to make a clunk sound instead (I had driven for two hours around with no.sounds while driving at various speeds), but I think that's because I broke too hard. Whoops

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Can't be scaring mom - then she won't let you visit her on Mother's Day - your vehicle is "unsafe to drive"

Ya' don't want that!

Mom 'prolly appreciated knowing you're hearing is good, so that the next time she needs something done - you don't have to ask twice...

[idea][driving][wrenchin]

Ok, good to know that the issue is minor and can't always be recreated - so that requires specific special conditions and so far, the wheels haven't fallen off - so better to be safe than sorry!

OP
P
City
Horningsham
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
Fiesta Zetec 64
Thread Starter #8
Can't be scaring mom - then she won't let you visit her on Mother's Day - your vehicle is "unsafe to drive"

Ya' don't want that!

Mom 'prolly appreciated knowing you're hearing is good, so that the next time she needs something done - you don't have to ask twice...

[idea][driving][wrenchin]

Ok, good to know that the issue is minor and can't always be recreated - so that requires specific special conditions and so far, the wheels haven't fallen off - so better to be safe than sorry!
Haha. Yep, luckily in the UK mother's day was a few weeks ago, because for whatever reason, us Brits like to Buck the trend.

Yeah. I might just... Wait a bit. I do need to book in anyway as I have the worlds slowest puncture (once a month) and my passenger side window is on the blink. So might mention it then. Fun fun fun.