City
D
State
ME
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford
Looking at picking up a 2010 SE 2.5/ manual.

I'm more familiar with the Fusion's bigger brother, the Taurus.

I know on the Taurus End Links and brakes are common wear items.... what should I be looking for?

Car has around 130k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tomang07

City
D
State
ME
Country
United States
What I Drive
Ford
Thread Starter #2

2010Merc

City
Bonner Springs
State
KS
Country
United States
What I Drive
2010 Mercury Milan
I have 200k on our Milan 2.5 auto trans. Resale on a manual trans car could be an issue. We keep cars for 10+ years, so it is less of an issue. I had the seats recovered, the cloth seats stained every time water spilled. Both airbags were replaced as part of the Takata fiasco. The passenger airbag part took 6 months to get, so Ford rented us a car.

Other repairs have been minor: passenger CV axle, one set of brakes, one windshield, rear shocks, front struts, headlights. If I was buying a manual shift car with 130k I would plan on replacing the clutch. Even if it has been done, if they cheaped out and didn't replace the flywheel, you might have to do the job again.

The most recent thing I have learned is to check a Ford parts source before buying at a parts store. I replaced the tensioner 4S7Z-8678-A with an idler from AZ. The bushing behind the tensioner was beat up, so the idler and bushing did not fit together well. Ford has the tensioner, bushing, washer and bolt as an assembly. You get everything new at once, there is no guesswork as to how it goes together, and it installs easier. And it is the same price as just the idler from AZ. This is the 3rd time I have replaced this tensioner. When the belt makes noise with the A/C on, this is the first thing I look at.

Good luck with your new ride!

BlueKoda

City
Indiana
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
2012 Ford Fusion Sport
Looking at picking up a 2010 SE 2.5/ manual.

I'm more familiar with the Fusion's bigger brother, the Taurus.

I know on the Taurus End Links and brakes are common wear items.... what should I be looking for?

Car has around 130k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Ask about the service history. I know the early facelifted cars (2010-2012) were notorious for steering rack failures and had some recalls. Also ask if the clutch has been replaced. 130k miles is a lot on one if it's mostly city driven, you can gauge it's health usually by feel of how it bites.

If you're not super car savvy yourself, don't hesitate to have a shop look at it too.

Otherwise my typical checks other than feeling how it drives is to look down into the oil cap. You can usually see the top of one of the cam caps on these and can gauge how it's oil change history has been. If it's still silver, then it's good. Otherwise if it's a darker golden or brown color, that might mean it's gone a little long on oil changes but still can be fine. Synthetic oils varnish more quickly even. If it's sludgy and black, forget the whole thing.

I'm not aware of anything else being of particular issue on these. Infact the auto trans would be one of my checks but you get to skip that one.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk