Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

My 2012 Fiesta Powershift has a 3000 or so rpm rev limit on D. Can i use it as launch control or is it bad?

Worx

City
San jose
State
Non-US
Country
Philippines
What I Drive
Mk7 fiesta
So as the title says, my mk7 has the powershift and when you press brake and gas it holds the rpm at 3k or so RPMs. I was wondering if i can use it as a sort of launch control or is it bad to launch your car with it?

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It's simply BAD. The powershift transmission is not a performance oriented gearbox. It does have a more favorable spread of gear ratios for certain types of closed course driving events than the manual transmission fiesta. But, you shouldn't confuse that with any notion that the DPS6 gearbox was developed with any high performance use intentions!
The powershift DCT has a controller that learns your driving style within a pre determined range of what is considered a normal driving behavior.
Multiple driver's with greatly varied driving styles or drivers that have a tendency to feather the throttle or brakes while driving have the effect of causing the controller to become confused about what the operator is asking the car to do. The controller needs clear demand signals from the operator regarding what they want, so it can more easily anticipate the next gear ratio selection.
The early powershift transmissions ground their clutches into dust in the ensuing confusion regarding what gear position was being requested.