Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

2009 Fiesta 1.4 Tdci emitting black smoke

Youngbuck

City
London
State
Non-US
Country
United Kingdom
What I Drive
2009 Fiesta
Hi

I’ve got a 2009 1.4 tdci , I seem to be having problems. The car is smoking black smoke. Non stop. Worse when it’s being driven. Smells of diesel. Its had two new injectors but this has not fixed the issue. Their is no warning lights or fault codes. Also when the engine is warm it sounds like it is not getting enough air so choking trying to cut out.

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
1.4L TDCI? Diesel? - Yikes!

...(Realize that there are many causes for Black Smoke in Deisel or Gas-powered motors so this is not meant as a cast in stone instruction, but more of a guide for you to think thru what service has been done and what is needed to be done, next)...

The "black smoke" issue can be from a poor / clogged or plugged up Fuel pressure regulator - it keeps building pressure so the injectors push more into the cylinders.- making it smoke even more.

There are differences in the type of black smoke - a soot or a greasy oily type that still smells of raw Deisel..

Which one - that needs to be verified that it's sooty, not greasy - for then if it's a dry soot - it's from poor fuel regulation or a plugged fuel filter -even it's return line - Greasy smelly? - it may indicate a failed piston ring or oil dilution so the cylinders can't develop any compression. It's burning oil and the Deisel is diluting it down

The big clue here is the "gasping" rattle it makes the air getting sucked in can be from many sources including its own crankcase oil and vapors - reducing the sound of the power-stroke from a gentle rap-tap-rap-tap to a slow rolling gasp

Since you're getting no codes, this may be more from a failing head gasket or piston ring failure - which will set codes, but it will mean the end of the engine and you'll need a new one.

This one sounds like it needs to be rebuilt. It's losing compression.

Last edited: