Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

why gas nozzle shut off too quick 2011 Fiesta SEL

keithbmw

City
Clinton
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SEL
Hope you guys can help me, having issue with gas nozzle shut off too quick.. Had to pour slow, taking forever to fill. any ideas?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Probably someone ahead of you put something in the Gas pumps' Nozzle - from their vehicle - when they topped theirs off - blew back into the nozzle - then came out and now it's stuck in yours.

Might need to find an inspection scope and use a hard hollow tube to force and hold open the spring-loaded valve that keeps the tank closed off - then insert the scope to see if you can find the obstruction. This action may also dislodge whatever was in there to fall back into the tank - the fill valve is two vanes spring loaded so if someone got "punky" and dropped something past the first vane - the second vane takes more effort to move so when you stuck the nozzle in there it may have forced the object further down - now lodged in there halfway.

There are several vids about a Check Engine light trouble code regarding Fuel Fill Door

Else this may indicate a collapsed tube to fill the tank - possibly from road debris getting thrown up into the wheelwell and bending - damaging the fill tube.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Slow or incomplete fuel fills can be a symptom of the cannister purge valve not working.
When you fuel the car, the fuel going into the tank pushes out vapors. Those vapors are supposed to be pushed into a charcoal lined cannister attached to the floorpan near the left rear wheel.
If the valve sticks shut, the vapor accumulation and pressure cause the fuel to backup in the filler pipe and cause the nozzle to shut off.

OP
K

keithbmw

City
Clinton
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SEL
Thread Starter #4
Don't see any bending tubes. I did use the white funnel to open and put hose in, seems hose went down fine till stops at tank. Is there another lid

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Don't see any bending tubes. I did use the white funnel to open and put hose in, seems hose went down fine till stops at tank. Is there another lid
That is where the other valve is, just keeps people from siphoning off gas - more like a grate - tell me you were not able to go down into the tank?

If you're able to get a hose down there without it stopping or kinking up to that grate - then the tube is ok, the evap canister, if that got ice or water - froze up - that can slow the ability of the tank to trap the fumes when the tank fills.- there is a line from the tank that helps displace the air when you fuel up

This is also the time of year when stations begin to change over from winter blends to summer - but if the station sells ethanol-based fuel versus a gasoline "true" blend - the ethanol in the fuel can also produce issues with filling the tank - because ethanol attracts water, and it slows down fuel delivery to a crawl if that fuel has got a lot of water in it and they're just trying to drain their tank before they refill it. That is not your fault.

The next time you fill up - might want to observe more closely if the fuel hose is gushing out fuel, then snaps off - or the fuel gets to the handle, but the handle is not letting fuel to drain into or pour into the tank.

One type of operation leaves a wet spray of fuel from the shutoff - because it pumped it faster than the feedback system allowed, then you may have a plug in the line - vapor side or liquid fuel side.

The other may be from the pump - and when you pull the handle - fuel pressure drops and the thing shuts down thinking it's disconnected so it stops the pump from pumping gas - that is not your fault, it the pumps'. So, you have to release the trigger gently, so the system sees pressure and allows gas to flow - annoying as heck...

That type of pressure can cause the pump handle to shut off to prevent accidental spillage because there is more pressure in the line to the hose then at the hose, than it's supposed to have. That is the disconnect part - and it could be from many things on their end.

I'd go to another station and try again, if you have the same problem - then the vehicle might need some service.

OP
K

keithbmw

City
Clinton
State
UT
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SEL
Thread Starter #6
Tried slowly increase on gas nozzle then shut off. Went different station, same thing. I guess will slow the flow on gas nozzle to fill it. Thanks

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
If this condition continues, pay attention to your Check Engine Light...

Also - if you can, buy an OBD-II scanner - simple scan tool - insert into the ODB-II port and let it boot (follow it's instructions) - and look for - in its settings menu....

I/M Monitors >> EVAP System

Check its status - if it says NOT READY - then you know you have issues that relate to the EVAP system and it needs to be checked.

Thats the Fuel system having issues...
1646190693305.png