Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

When turning key to start car, all dash lights light up but nothing else happens

City
Lakeland
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta SE
Hoping someone might know what is causing this:
2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6L Automatic
This has happend now twice now. After the first time, I wrote it off as a glitch. Now that it's happened again I'm thinking something electronic is failing:
Symptom: Insert key into ignition, turn key to start. All dash lights light up like they normally world during the starting process but nothing else happens. Starter doesn't even try, no other noises.. simply nothing else happens, not even any clicking. Radio works along with AC and other systems, just no crank/start.
TEMP FIX: Turn key to off position and remove key from igniton. Pop the hood and disconnect the negative terminal from batttery. Insert key, turn to start position (of course no lights, nothing happens.) Hold key there for 10 seconds. Turn key to OFF position, remove key. Reconnect negative terminal on battery. Insert key, turn to start and car starts like nothing was wrong and runs perfectly.
No codes on engine, battery is newish with good charge. Battery terminal cables/connectors are clean and have perfect contact with battery terminals.
I have to suspect this has something to do with an electronic component somewhere since a "reboot" seems to fix it temporarily, just no clue what it could be.
Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
You might be experiencing a failed Body Control Module. This was the same rigmarole with early 2000 GMs. Ensuring the grounds are clean and secure would be the first task. There is a grouping under the battery in the engine bay...Remove, clean, replace and coat with a protectant. Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, spray white grease etc. Also check the pins on the Body Control Module plugs for corrosion and that the plugs are well seated. Located behind glove box left of fuse panel (I believe). Do this with the battery disconnected and bleed residual power by pressing on the brake pedal a few times.

OP
T
City
Lakeland
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
You might be experiencing a failed Body Control Module. This was the same rigmarole with early 2000 GMs. Ensuring the grounds are clean and secure would be the first task. There is a grouping under the battery in the engine bay...Remove, clean, replace and coat with a protectant. Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, spray white grease etc. Also check the pins on the Body Control Module plugs for corrosion and that the plugs are well seated. Located behind glove box left of fuse panel (I believe). Do this with the battery disconnected and bleed residual power by pressing on the brake pedal a few times.
I was hoping it would NOT be a computer issue BUT it makes sense.
Question: Is the BCM under the battery or is that where the grounds are located? If not,where is the BCM located in this car?

Thanks for the quick response!!

T

OP
T
City
Lakeland
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #5
Grounds are under the battery, BCM is behind glove box
Thank you for your response. Apologies for making you repeat yourself, for some dumb reason I didn't read past "... Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, spray white grease etc ."

Checking on this today.

Thanks!

OP
T
City
Lakeland
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #6
Grounds are under the battery, BCM is behind glove box
I removed the battery and the battery box. There is a "computer" unit attached to the side of the battery box. Under the battery in the battery box was a bit of rusty water. The metal band that goes from the post on the left, under the battery to the post on the right that you both the battery retainer bar to was very rusty. I removed it and cleaned it up.
I removed the computer module from the battery box and unplugged all three connectors. All three were perfect showing no signs of corrosion, looked brand new. Figured if a computer under the hood was OK, the BCM in the cabin under the dash was probably OK too.
Removed the battery box and the bolts that held the plate under it to the chassis and cleaned it all up. Some rust on that plate.
Put it all back together and looked at the battey. Little round sticker said "6/18" . Nice, this battery is over 5 years old. Went back to the battery on my work bench and was about to clean up the terminals and noticed a small crack at the base of the positive terminal. HMMMM.

(Worth it to note that last week we tested the battery using a volt meter and, with the motor running and holding it at 2000 rpm, the battery never got over 13.5 volts and I'm pretty sure it should have been over 14 at that point. I didn't pay it no mind as it started the car just fine as well as ran the accessories.)

Took battey to local auto parts store to test it. It tested full charge, 442 cranking amps out of 500 BUT the testing equipment showed battery was BAD. That was enough for me. Got a new battery (WHY are they so damn expensive the last few years???) and installed it.

No way to test if the issue remains until it happens again so showed my daughter how to disconnect the negative terminal and "reset" the car so it starts again IF it happens again.

Will know within the week if this fixes it or not and will report back. (after checking the BCM)

Again, THANK YOU for your help andf advice!

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
We constantly see electrical issues with these cars, almost all due to corroded connectors or bad batteries. Many of us don't have the luxury of a garage, so the car is subject to the weather. Rain, snow, etc.
Water can pool in places, and it may not evaporate out if you live in a rainy/humid place, and park it outside.
People in Tucson don't have that problem. People in FL can.

OP
T
City
Lakeland
State
FL
Country
United States
What I Drive
2013 Ford Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #9
We constantly see electrical issues with these cars, almost all due to corroded connectors or bad batteries. Many of us don't have the luxury of a garage, so the car is subject to the weather. Rain, snow, etc.
Water can pool in places, and it may not evaporate out if you live in a rainy/humid place, and park it outside.
People in Tucson don't have that problem. People in FL can.
... and I am in Florida so I do ahve that issue. :)