Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Looking for TSB 11-7-6

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
That’s the one regarding the slow fuel fill condition. I think they replace the NVLD module due to an obstruction that prevents it from doing its job. Do you have a fueling problem? 86F1DECE-1FAB-4118-A705-E6403DB6DAE5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
SyntheticAtmosphere
City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #3
I do have a fill issue. Some days it fills fine, other days I get half trigger and today was a trickle...I gave up at 3/4 tank.
I am familiarizing myself as much as I can before I get in & under the car to do a visual and some checks/tests.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
There is also a purge valve,

Engine compartment - on the intake above and by the throttle body

Check that too,

1676549746048.png

But Slow Fill usually means the canister charcoal is in dire need of drying out - it's turning into cement.

That affects the above valve's ability to pull purged tank air out of the canister and even let the tank fill - for it is supposed to be open - so there are 2 nylon sleeves that fit over the ports of this valve and it has a damper vent (Behind the valve looks like a rubber stopper with holes) to silence the clacking it can make.

Might want to look that over too - been known to fail - and it may have another TSB about the valve and the noise it can make - requiring the valves replacement - so check the numbers on yours to the one above - this one is their latest and greatest - so if it can be replaced for cheap - it can help.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
It will require a new module in order to ever work properly.
Your avatar info is confusing. You display the American flag but you show whitefish Canada as your home. So, if you are Canadian that TSB number will be different than the U. S. One. I am almost certain of that! Keep us updated on your issue

OP
SyntheticAtmosphere
City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #6
...Your avatar info is confusing. You display the American flag but you show whitefish Canada as your home...
Yes I have tried contacting admin and posting in the forum help section to no avail. Nothing personal, but Id like to fly my flag :sneaky:

OP
SyntheticAtmosphere
City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #7
As for the issue with the car, possibly this weekend I can take a boo. Selling a house, moving into another, designing a garage & panicking over the lack of having one, work "crap", kids, price of food/gas/everything, world is in the toilet...sigh...Aint nothin' a beer cant fix, lol

Purge valve is a simple on/off valve, I can test that with my power supply, same for vent valve, I will have to scrutinize the NVLD and make a plan for that one.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Nothing personal, but Id like to fly my flag
Let's See...
1676590296242.png 1676592808434.png 1676592939408.png 1676593100151.png

Even logout and log-in won't help...

Sorry...can't seem to find out why it has to do that and no matter the choice...

Well, Welcome to America!

OP
SyntheticAtmosphere
City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #10
Been there a few times...nice place.

Truth be told, almost ended up moving to San Antonio, TX long ago.

OP
SyntheticAtmosphere
City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Thread Starter #11
Did some digging into the fueling issue and come up with...well nothing.
All lines, hoses, components look to be in excellent condition considering the car is no spring chicken.
Checked the purge valve, it clicks when activated as it should. I didnt do a blow thru test tho.
Dropped the charcoal canister, its light as a feather, so not saturated. Unlocked the "vent valve?" and locked it a few times, didnt try to pull it out.
I looked into the NVLD/TSB related, however I do not have any of the TSB 13-2-10 related serious issues such as CEL/MIL, no start or fuel odor. But...
Cars with a manufacture date after March 29/2011 have the inline fuse installed from the factory...mine does not. My car however is an 03/11 car, just before the change date.

Yesterday I went to the gas station chose a different pump form the 2 I usually use and was able to fill the car no problem from near empty to full.
At this point I question if its even my car to blame, I will have to tighten up the parameters and keep an eye on this.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Well, there is a thing or two about the pumps at various stations too.

So if the car fills up ok one day and goofs up on the next fill up - looks like trying another pump seems to solve the issues.

There are several pump designs that purge (pull the bad air) vapors from the tank is specific ways, so this TSB may be more related to how the Fiestas' own tanks - when filling up - is handled by the pump at the station.

So since you did a pretty good thorough check on you car, then the system that handles any sort of fuel and vapors issue may have a related cause - as to; how their system processes the filling pressure "gradient" that occurs when there's less air in that tank and how their pump handles it when the fuel flow and vapor displacement get to a critical stage and the pump shuts it off.

The TSB in some recalls dealing with other cars of mine have been more related to how big this hose has to be to expel X amount of pressure at a given rate - sort of thing.

Added:

The point of the "Hose" is size of vent that is needed to pipe the fuel vapors and keep them from openly escaping as much as possible - this also is related to the fuel itself - as in how that is formed and cracked which then changes it's volatility and ability to atomize (kinda like sublimation) so when you pump fuel, even into a simple fuel tank you use for your lawn mower - you'll see a type of foaming and vapor shimmer that is a result of this reformulation process.

The fuel easily turns from a liquid to vapor state - and they change the carrier agents (oil base) to handle the volatility and vapor pressure during seasonal changes and try to keep it stable for a wide range of environments.

So the reason I mentioned the valves and such is, there is a special condition that can occur when the intake manifold can get filled with crud and as you see it collect on the intake throttle valve, you can also imagine that this also coats the lines ports and hoses also connecting to the intake manifold that are not "washed" by the fuel spray from the injectors.

In time - these ports can get plugged and even affect the EGR/PCV and EVAP valves so they shut down.

The older Mondeos used a vane system in the intake to swirl air to help with the atomization of the fuel at the manifold to cylinder head partition. When it gets plugged, the vanes are the first to stick in a position and also add to the plugging effects because of the impediment they try to make the air swirl, also generates a place for particles to collect in the eddies of airflow around the vanes - acting as collectors for even more dirt and debris.

Last edited: