Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Boomba Brake Cooling Deflectors for FiST Released

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
FYI...

http://www.boombaracing.com/2014-fiesta-st-brake-cooling-deflector/

MSRP $135

DSC_5788_FiST_copy_WEB__31167_1450123278_1280_1280.jpg

Brake_Deflector_Fist_Front__87635_1450123246_1280_1280.jpg

Sick and tired of experiencing brake fade and a mushy pedal? Boomba Racing has the solution for you! The Boomba Racing brake cooling deflector kit for the Fiesta ST helps to channel air towards your caliper and rotor when driving. The cooling deflector mounts securely to the A-arm using a hole that is already there for a completely reversible installation. Ground clearance is not compromised and there is no need to remove your fog lights or drill any holes. This kit can be installed easily in your driveway using a jack and jackstands.

If you look at the data above you can see that we had noticeable drops in temperatures after the installation of these deflectors.

Removal of the rotor dust shield is highly recommended in aiding air flow to the brakes.

The deflectors and mounting brackets are made from aircraft grade billet aluminum and feature all stainless hardware. These pieces are available in your choice of four different colors: natural finish, blue, red, or black anodized.

[HR][/HR]
Demonstration Video (below) Installed on FoST

Published on Dec 17, 2015

"This video demonstrates the differences in what happens with airflow when the deflectors are not in place vs. what happens when you install the Boomba Deflectors. As you can clearly see in the video, with the deflectors installed the air is channeled into the wheel where it can work to cool your braking system. This was proven with constant temperature drops throughout testing."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Z8lFB1WJI

[video=youtube;O-Z8lFB1WJI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Z8lFB1WJI[/video]

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
I'll probably buy these but where's the data? I don't see any anywhere

Edit: found it in another thread
We'll have official spreadsheets/graphs posted in the next few days! The abbreviated version is that these cool your brakes by about 50-60 degrees vs not having the deflectors.

Video also coming soon which is FiST specific.

Bluedrank

That seems like a substantial amount of cooling. How difficult is removing the dust cover / installation?

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #6
How difficult is removing the dust cover / installation?
Remove the two caliper bracket bolts, pull off your rotor, and there are three screws. That simple!
Here are installation instructions Boomba has posted for the Focus ST to just give a basic idea of difficulty of install for FiST...some steps may be slightly different and don't think trimming of slash guard will be required for the FiST?...

http://www.boombaracing.com/content/FORD FOCUS ST - BRAKE DUCTS.pdf

FoST Brake Duct Intr 1.jpg
FoST Brake Duct Instr 2.jpg

Well since my shields are already off this is a pretty simple modification, will be getting them after winter.
Not sure if this has been covered, but because of the added turbulence introduced into the wheel cavity, what effect does this have on brake dust settling? Does it make brake dust worse/better/no change.

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Here are installation instructions Boomba has posted for the Focus ST to just give a basic idea of difficulty of install for FiST...some steps may be slightly different and don't think trimming of slash guard will be required for the FiST?...

http://www.boombaracing.com/content/FORD FOCUS ST - BRAKE DUCTS.pdf
Luckily on the Fiesta it doesn't have the same splash shields in front of the wheel like on the FoST. This means that there is no trimming to be done on the FiST. It is literally as simple as lifting your car, removing the wheel, removing the caliper, removing the rotor, install deflector, re-assemble, DONE. We've got someone putting a FiST install guide together as I type this.

Well since my shields are already off this is a pretty simple modification, will be getting them after winter.
Not sure if this has been covered, but because of the added turbulence introduced into the wheel cavity, what effect does this have on brake dust settling? Does it make brake dust worse/better/no change.
In our long term testing we really haven't noticed a huge difference in brake dust. Maybe slightly less, but nothing extreme.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I hope to see track data on effectiveness as 50-60 degrees is not much help at race track temps, looking forward to what you come up with:)

Young L

I hope to see track data on effectiveness as 50-60 degrees is not much help at race track temps, looking forward to what you come up with:)
yea I was thinking the same thing, as a daily or occasional auto-x it might be fine. Ive done a full upgrade short of doing a BBK and I was still getting a sketchy brake feel at the Ring and Hockenhiem. That torque vectoring is just really aggressive.

Do you think this would help or hurt snow-packing & ice build-up on the suspension/wheels during the winter?

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
Do you think this would help or hurt snow-packing & ice build-up on the suspension/wheels during the winter?
Due to the constant movement and heat generated from brakes; snow building up on the brakes would not be something to worry about. Even snow being "funneled" onto the control arms from the deflectors would really not be an issue due to the snow not really having a chance to accumulate seeing as how the deflectors are made out of smooth aluminum.