2014 Fusion Steering Gear Failure/Recall

Hi,

We have a very low mileage 2014 Fusion. Driving it one day we lost steering control. Took it to the dealership and they told us the steering gear had failed and to repair it was over $1500. When I looked online I saw that many others have experienced this. It even went to court. Ford did a few recalls about corroded bolts and software but none of them fixed the steering gear itself unless the bolts were broken.

We had to write a very large check for a relatively new vehicle and are not happy about it at all. I'm flabbergasted that Ford is not doing anything about it all when someone comes in with this problem on these particular models when they issue recalls on everything but the steering gear itself. I've tried and tried to talk with Ford and I just get passed around.

If this was an act of God thing, I might understand, but the fact that there was a safety recall and litigation about this issue is too overwhelming of evidence pointing to a design flaw.

I'm just venting about how unhappy I am. No one ever reached out to me, acknowledged anything, returned calls or emails. Just the bill.

This is my last Ford car. Thanks, Ford. You just lost a lot of business.

Sorry to hear about that. I've read about Ford's steering gear bolt recall.

Have you tried to reach out to Ford Customer Service Directly and bypass the dealer?

OP
L
Thread Starter #4
Yep, I did contact customer service directly. They start a case number (and you think things are moving along) but then they tell you to call your dealer. "Hmmm, okay," I thought. The dealer said to give him a few days to call back (he never did) so I did and he said he was waiting on Ford to make a decision. Eventually, he said Ford wouldn't do anything despite the obvious--the car was 20,000 miles, on-going class action suit about this:

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...-judgment-power-steering-defect-class-action/

I contacted multiple people at Ford with decision-making power (so I thought) and nothing but silence. It was disappointing but I am guessing if they acknowledge it it leaves them open to further lawsuits.

Sure, I'm angry about it and the reason I'm writing here is that it seems likely other Fusion owners are going to experience the same issue. Even if somebody has a warranty and gets it repaired for no cost that doesn't make disregarding a design flaw good behavior by Ford. Our car lost the power steering while being driven. It's a safety issue that needs to be rectified by Ford.

I hope no one goes through what I have with this (emotionally and financially). It has so disappointing.

Try asking for a regional manager. That's crazy that they won't work with you given the bolt recall could lead to the electric power steering failare.