Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

rodmoe when are you gonna give us a proper LSD review already?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
We need a proper review and driving impressions [raceflag][deviltail]:p
What do you need to know ??
here is a overrview so far..
Weather here cool and raining with a nice day or two being eaten up by "TO DO LIST" things so most of my running around has been in the cool damp weather which suits the Pilot Super Sport A/S3 tires perfectly great grip in the wet or dry not too temp sensitive.. So good control and not a lot of wheel spin..
Trans is running factory quiet after the install which for me was some concern as I was the installer ;) lol

From the straight ahead launch I still get rubber in second on a fast shift but only a chirp now not a full second or two of tire scream. just a chirp and grip really hard to get anything in third though it may be I am back on my heavy 17 svt rims and meaty tires. (will have to play with the 15 inch wheels when it gets warm and dry again.. (much lighter)

IN THE CORNERS this thing seems to wake up just about the point I think the car should start to push in a hard corner it sharp turn at a intersection where you need to give it the beans to make the gap in traffic. I used to feel the car push or hear the inside tire lift and feel it spin a bit.. NOT andmore now the car just grabs the road a rabbits off in the direction you have the wheels pointed. (still learning that as to when it comes on and where the gas pedal needs to be) But it just goes and makes you smile thinking this is how it should have been optioned from the factory. It is just amore fun (if thats possible) car to drive knowing it will move when you think it should and not light up the inside tire..
I have yet to track the little beasty since the install with the late spring I have had no time but remind me again in June and I will report as I have a AutoX cone killing session set the first part of June and hope to have the chores done ;)

If I missed something please feel free to ask I will give a best as I can answer .. lol

Oh as for cost it was a little less than $1500 for my to install it once I got all the extra parts (bearings and shims and shop supplys I went overboard on shims bought one of almost every size so I would be ready) And bearing I think i have source a cheaper supply with less shipping costs) But such is life of a early adopter I enjoyed the tool time working on it so it was good therapy for me. I looked at this early on after figureing the cost to go to the Octane Acad. and what that would have cost I chose to use that money for this so I look at it as a memory maker like OA would have been but I can make new meomries every time I drive it.. LOL but thats just me..
Is this for everyone NO is it for the motorhead with access to the proper tools and or a shop with the tools and do you need deep pockets for this one well kinda sorta yes as this is as fun as a coilover install it is more involved and scary to be honest at first but once you get into it and follow the ford manual for me it was an adventure..

One more quick obsevervation is the grip really comes on about mid corner or maybe that just I have not gotten used to it as that is where I notice it most (example you are waiting to turn at a light and you start going about the time I think I hit 3k and the power comes on it just SCOOTS with both front tires digging and the back end just follows) nothing you can't plan for but it needs to be learned or I need to anyways ;)
Hope my rambling helps and again ask away if I failed to address anything :)

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Hahaha that's exactly the kind of review I was looking for! Glad to hear it, I naturally assumed it would put the power down a lot better, this is something I might look into in the future, maybe next year or the year after. I was asking about a review just to see what you thought and if it's really worth it, and it sounds like it is. I've never driven a FWD car with a mechanical LSD so was just curious. Luckily I have access to tools, lifts and the rest so at least that makes it more realistic/practical to do myself or with a buddy, just a matter of time & money!

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Glad to help and yes I guess I could have busted the job out in a 24 hr period if I had a second set of experianced hands and eyes but I took my time and enjoyed it over the course of a cool rainy weekend..
And I think the more power this car gets the more it can use something like this it may just save some brakepad life too .. IDK thats my story ....