Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RPM and lugging engine?

Hey Everyone, Still new to the forum as I got my FiST less than 2 weeks ago. Did a quick search and didn't see an answers to my question, so sorry if I missed a thread that's up already. What I'm wondering is at what RPM is this engine really lugging and at what RPM are people shifting at or hanging out at for casual driving. What should the RPM be going up a hill without bogging the engine, but without getting into throttle? The reason I ask is I'm not used to this style engine at all. Coming from NC miata, that car hatted being below 3000 RPM and loved to rev. I also have a VW GLI with APR stage 1 and that car loves to sit around 1500 RPM and has so much torque (just shy of 300 lbs. ft.) that I never need to downshift even when going up a hill. The FiST engine seems to be somewhere in the middle and is telling me to shift up at 2000 RPM which seems too low. The main reason I ask is I'm breaking the car in and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

If you're still in the break-in phase, make sure to read [MENTION=241]pelotonracer2[/MENTION] 's break in thread here: http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/569-Drivetrain-Break-in-101

What I'll say is that the engine peaks torque at ~3000rpm and peaks horsepower ~5400rpm on the stock turbo. For general cruising purposes, I'll use 4th gear for 35mph and 5th gear for 45mph, anything over that (for cruising) will be in 6th. Generally I live between 2200-2700 for street driving, though you could probably shift more for better gas mileage. I tend to use the engine brake over my brakes, so there's that too.

Once you're done with break in, the Fiesta loves to be revved out, though it still makes the most power in the lower RPMs.

I'm not in any way qualified to answer this based on what is best for the engine; however, I will say that the upshift arrow seems to appear absurdly early on the stock tune but just about spot on for daily driving on the Cobb OTS tunes. If you shift as early as it would like on the stock tune, you would often end up in boost at fairly low RPM, which from what I understand is not good for the engine or fuel efficiency.