18” Premium Painted Luxury Wheels Clear Coat Peeling

Ductking1

Was wondering if anyone has had a problem with the 18” Premium Painted Luxury Wheels clear coat peeling off, purchased a 2014 Ford Fusion Luxury Black on Black Leather with the Black 18” Premium Painted Luxury Wheels on 10-22-13, the car only has 1361.6 miles on it and yesterday I noticed the clear coat is peeling off all 4 wheels, am going to contact my local Ford Dealer today, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks for any information.

SportAWD

My grandma has the EXACT car as you! She hasnt reported any issues with the rims at all. Yeah, go to the dealer and see what;s going on. Thats not normal.

OP
D

Ductking1

Thread Starter #3
My grandma has the EXACT car as you! She hasnt reported any issues with the rims at all. Yeah, go to the dealer and see what;s going on. Thats not normal.
I called my local Ford Dealer and they said to bring it down and they will take pictures to send to Ford and go from there, I’m not sure if they will have their body shop re-clear them or just replace them with new ones, I guess we will find out.

OP
D

Ductking1

Thread Starter #5
Lots of snow lately, now it’s raining pretty hard, the car did sit outside with snow covering the wheels for a few days, I thought that might have contributed to the clear coat peeling, but still you would think a new car would be able to handle all types of weather, I do know that in the book the tires are only rated for summer use.

jasyn85

That's good to know that Ford is replacing your rims. I just wanted to add that I am experiencing the same issue. I have a 2014 Fusion SE, built up with the black aluminum 18'' gloss wheels. I bought the car brand new in October of 2013. The Winter has been brutal. I just noticed that all 4 rims are peeling in multiple areas, where it's visibly noticeable. I barely drive the car and have less than 5K on it. It's garage kept and I run it through a touch-less car-wash once a week, just to get the dust off of it and what not. I don't use any crazy weird chemicals on my rims. I use exactly what the manual states.

This is really concerning me, because this was an option that I paid extra for these rims, pretty much a requirement of mine, since I really like black rims, especially on a black car. Ford says they have not heard of any issues with rim issues; however they have agreed to replace all 4 rims with no cost to me under the 36,000/3 year bumper to bumper warranty. I hope the rims were just a bad batch that since have been corrected, because Ford will ONLY replace the rims with the exact same ones. Ford will not replace them with any other comparable rims.

I hope there's a recall soon on these rims, it appears it's a wide spread issue, regardless of the climate.