Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Hello the House!

City
Palm Desert Ca
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
1994 Geo Metro 3/5
Gas mileage nut here. I currently am the proud owner of a 1994 Geo Metro, 3 cyl. 5 spd, 4 door wagon (I know, I know). I love as mileage. My wife doesn't like driving it, It does have rough idle issues etc. But it does go from point A to point B sipping gas. I never realized the Fiesta came with a 3 cyl. Turbo. The gas mileage is close to the Metro with air bags, some noise reduction etc. and a turbo! I very well could be looking at purchasing one of these swell cars (as my wife might actually enjoy driving it). What should I look for in finding one? Does high mileage affect them? My Metro has 227K currently. What are it's downfalls? Thanks.

Attachments

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Well, So you absolutely gotta have a three pot? Your Metro was designed and built in a different era.
The Metro has a somewhat serviceable engine block and cylinder head. The Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost does not. The head and exhaust manifold with integral turbocharger are not serviceable beyond valvetrain and a wastegate service parts kit. If the turbo fails, you would need a new cylinder head. If it overheats due to the head gasket failing or a coolant loss, you probably would need a new top end if not a whole engine.
In Europe the 1.0 is the subject of much controversy. Much of that is centered around coolant loss and engine fires.
You never learned that the engine was available in America because it was silently released and then not promoted very much.
Is it refined? Yes. It has to be refined, because it operates on a technological knifes edge!
It has two thermostats, the failure of either can result in financial disaster if you don't get it shut down right away.
The Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost was a case of something that was created because it was possible, not because it was actually feasible in long term, real world conditions.
If you want three cylinder fuel economy, stick with the Metro and maybe buy a couple of parts cars to keep it on the road.
Im sorry to say that I can't recommend that anyone who wants an economical Fiesta purchase a 1.0 Fiesta.
I can recommend that anyone who wants a high fuel economy oriented Fiesta should take a manual transmission 1.6 liter fiesta hatchback and install low rolling resistance tires, high quality, fully synthetic oil and high quality filters and then practice hypermile driving techniques.

City
Not-US
State
Non-US
Country
Canada
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE
Also, turbos dont get good fuel economy when you use them. When you command the power, the engine has to run richer to fuel the beast. I think Ford was trying to make a car that didnt feel like it was 1.0L.
I think your replacement that most resembles your Metro would be the Mitsubishi Mirage. It has a 3cyl however only comes with a CVT.
Dare I say hybrid or electric? :p
I do get some good numbers from my 2011 1.6L hatch. I do 20 min drives to and from work. I drive respectably with a feather foot, but I dont hypermile.
I have a space heater mounted under the passenger dash to heat the car on winter mornings and melt glass clear. This way I only idle on start up to get oil flowing decently and drive. Costs me 15 cents a morning in electricity compared to a couple bucks in gas in warmup.
Spring/Fall with no A/C and cheap all seasons 37mpg
Winter with winter rated tires no A/C(defrost on split) 35mpg
Summer with A/C and cheap all seasons 34mpg

Last edited:

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Are you asking about your Metros Downfalls or the Fiestas?

Metro (Geo line) were GM's import side of doing business alongside foreign interest - so the 3-pooper - er popper - was made by Suzuki - Trackers too, while the 80-90's NOVA was thru Toyota. (Yes, the Geo Metro Turbo was made - popular? well, if you didn't get into accidents - No, in many cases - the motor didn't last long enough to make your final car payment)

Don't worry, Ford got KIA to make the Aspire - so we all know how all this turned out...

It never left...

Suzuki is gone from the USA auto market - and you can read several threads around here by researching (use the 1702834695061.png SEARCH bar above) and look for the word Suzuki - you'll find my thoughts in there - about it.

Fiesta? I like the ability of the Manual 5-speed, it's a N/A (not turbo'd) - and I've done some hacks to mine to make it less of a pain to drive but not sure if others feel comfortable to follow down that rabbit hole.

However, with some changes to Rim size and the offset of the rims and right tire sizes - you can have a great little car for everyday commutes.
1702834836508.png

Just understand that Gas mileage EPG and Emissions - those "laws" can not apply to a car with a turbo - in fact, it can't really apply to anything - because the user is going to operate it - and that end result gives any type of vehicle it's outcome - Thumbs up or Thumbs down - and it's choices and desires take precedence over any other "law" in place.

econoboxrocks

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Elkhart
State
IN
Country
United States
What I Drive
'17 ST
I had a '95 Metro with the non-turbo 3. Slow as molasses, but it got great mileage and was still running like a top when I replaced it with my Fiesta. Great little car.
I have to warn you about the 1.0 Ecoboost, though. They like to blow up.
There's a class action going on with them now. https://www.classaction.org/news/ti...ngine-failure-while-driving-class-action-says

I think you'd be better off with the 1.6 four. Get one with a manual transmission. It's a sturdy little car and it handles well, and even has decent crash safety. If you want some more performance, the ST is a blast to drive and is also reliable.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
I would, and will, buy another 1.6 Fiesta hatchback with a manual transmission. They are a reasonably priced vehicle that has very good crash worthiness AND excellent fuel economy.
The only functional shortcomings on the basic Fiesta is front seat lower cushions that could be improved with better bolstering and thigh support.
And the cargo floor isn't level with the rear seatbacks when they are folded down. Those are fairly easy to resolve if they are an issue.
The only other thing that we cannot do anything about that is just a design quirk of Fiesta is the need to move the gear lever into first before going into reverse if you want to avoid the "gear crunch" you will have because of the syncros not being aligned at zero road speed. It is a design element of the IB5 transmission no matter what ford vehicles it is installed in.

Last edited: