Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Fiesta 2013 Sync module busted. What can I do?

Ivu04

City
Capital Federal, Buenos Aires
State
Non-US
Country
Argentina
What I Drive
Ford Fiesta Kinetic Design 1.6 2013
Hello, I am the owner of a 2013 Fiesta Kinetic Design titanium and the sync 1 module was damaged by water. My fiesta is a mexican unit, so it should be either the same or very similar to the american fiesta. Over here my OEM replacement sync module costs about 1000 usd and for some reason there are no used ones. I am not willing to pay 12% of the cars value for just a module. I would love to know if the module is replaceable by another one with a different part number (Mine is C8BT-14D212-CC). I found in Ebay lots of modules with the part number D1BT-14D212-CC (Is very similar but misses a secondary mini usb port which my module has but my car doesnt use) and cost no more than 80 usd. I also found lots of Sync modules in Mercado Libre (Argentinian Ebay) with the part number AM5T-14D212-KD, BM5T-14D212-KB or FR3T-14D212-GA which cost no more than 70usd and come from the brazilian manufactured fiesta. All these modules also lack the exrta mini usb port, but once again, my car only had one mini usb connector for the module. Is there any way to know if they are interchangable? Here's the module:

20231027_203647.jpg
Please feel free to ask any questions you would like!

City
North Spain
State
Non-US
Country
Spain
What I Drive
2014 Fiesta ecoboost
If i were you I'll try to see how damaged the module is to see if it is repairable (can be some component pins that have rusted or some tracks on the board), if not, i'll just try combinations of sync models with your radio, as probably the extra mini usb is either a service port or a usb for an extra feature other fords or TOL fiestas have. If they dont work i'll just buy f.e the brazilian fiesta radio with the brazilian sync module, shouldn't have any problem technically speaking...

Have you checked the scrapyards on your surroundings looking for parts too? maybe you're lucky to find a mex fiesta with the same module yours had.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
To help...
1698595980328.png
There's some stuff that you might need to know to help you in your search - because to make this more of a "Drop in" the technology around it needs to be kept similar - else it will fight you or not even be recognized due to the differences in the CHIPSET as well as the Programming it needs to be seen and work with the system it's going into.

You already know the part number, but the BT identity (no; not referring to the address - just having BT compatibility) and FCC ID - should be kept the same - this tells you that you have the same technology as the broken one - and having a unit closer to the Date code helps with the version and the last update it could have in it before it was installed in the other junked unit.

In another thread, you may also encounter DTC and error codes during this install - the SYNC unit "copies" and even becomes the sole heir to - a lot of data when the car sits. So this may have crash data as well as the other vehicles' configurations and error DTC codes stored in it - so to keep this simple - just be ready for a fight during the install.

OP
Ivu04

Ivu04

City
State
Non-US
Country
Argentina
What I Drive
Thread Starter #4
If i were you I'll try to see how damaged the module is to see if it is repairable (can be some component pins that have rusted or some tracks on the board), if not, i'll just try combinations of sync models with your radio, as probably the extra mini usb is either a service port or a usb for an extra feature other fords or TOL fiestas have. If they dont work i'll just buy f.e the brazilian fiesta radio with the brazilian sync module, shouldn't have any problem technically speaking...

Have you checked the scrapyards on your surroundings looking for parts too? maybe you're lucky to find a mex fiesta with the same module yours had.
The PCB is completely eaten by rust. Previous owner (My mom) didnt clean sunroof drains all that often so lots of water came into the car.

OP
Ivu04

Ivu04

City
State
Non-US
Country
Argentina
What I Drive
Thread Starter #5
To help...
View attachment 8566
There's some stuff that you might need to know to help you in your search - because to make this more of a "Drop in" the technology around it needs to be kept similar - else it will fight you or not even be recognized due to the differences in the CHIPSET as well as the Programming it needs to be seen and work with the system it's going into.

You already know the part number, but the BT identity (no; not referring to the address - just having BT compatibility) and FCC ID - should be kept the same - this tells you that you have the same technology as the broken one - and having a unit closer to the Date code helps with the version and the last update it could have in it before it was installed in the other junked unit.

In another thread, you may also encounter DTC and error codes during this install - the SYNC unit "copies" and even becomes the sole heir to - a lot of data when the car sits. So this may have crash data as well as the other vehicles' configurations and error DTC codes stored in it - so to keep this simple - just be ready for a fight during the install.
Thanks for the data! So if I hypothetically found a chip with same part number, same bt identity, same FCC ID and a similar date, then it might need a couple of error code wipes and a bit of time for the data to start being recognized by the chip?

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
Thanks for the data! So if I hypothetically found a chip with same part number, same bt identity, same FCC ID and a similar date, then it might need a couple of error code wipes and a bit of time for the data to start being recognized by the chip?
In fewer words?

Yes. (To clarify) It will make it easier for you to install it and if not badly damaged (see some of those that have a label "Scrap if dropped") it should "awaken" and might fight a little - but start to become functional. That warning label - means that these units are delicate and use SMD technology that can break (connection or the part itself) if jostled, even thru a car accident - they can fail and become that label - Scrap.

OP
Ivu04

Ivu04

City
State
Non-US
Country
Argentina
What I Drive
Thread Starter #7
In fewer words?

Yes. (To clarify) It will make it easier for you to install it and if not badly damaged (see some of those that have a label "Scrap if dropped") it should "awaken" and might fight a little - but start to become functional. That warning label - means that these units are delicate and use SMD technology that can break (connection or the part itself) if jostled, even thru a car accident - they can fail and become that label - Scrap.
Hello again,
First of all thank you for answering my questions and happy holydays! Secondly, I'll have the chance to travel to the USA in february and I might be able to take an american sync chip back home. Now the thing is there are no similar part numbers. For some reason ford decided to give each country a different part No. So my question is, if it has both bt compatibility and the same FCC id but a different part number with a 2 month difference in manufacturing, would it work? Or is this already too specific of a question 😅? The one that i found is DE8T-14D212-AA. Its from an SE model whilst mine is a Titanium but both the USA and Argentina recieved mexican fiestas back then so should come from the same factory line.

Handy Andy

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grand Rapids
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2018 Ford Fiesta SE HB
When you have something like this - it is hard to tell except to try.

2 months is pretty close - congratulations - it might work, but I cannot expect miracles.

The units will need an environment that lets them get "taught" by the ECM/PCM and any system on the CANBUS and LIN so the SYNC can receive messages and know why it's receiving them. This is part of the burn process that takes the VIN of the vehicle and the known ROM - overlays it and uses E-Prom methods to generate the template and working overlay of the Modules functions masked and the ECMs' ROM burned around along with the other indexed addresses so the SYNC unit becomes seamless to the vehicles systems and can work the Console menus without a glitch.

The sad part about these units - whether it is in a Fiesta or any type of Foreign model - Nissan, Toyota, Genesis and similar - all of them have entertainment modules that are specific to the vehicle due to the vehicles own communication network abilities. So the choices are even more limited as the technology integrates into the vehicles with each model upgrade.

This includes the years and even by the months of that same year, of changes to these modules that make the previous versions obsolete and the older versions or later years incompatible - by the revision and changes to the software (relocation of addressing and CAM/CANBUS and LIN Protocols and index address of modules located on the network - how to address them and even find them. That makes this such a nearly impossible effort.

IT is my hope that a technician that knows the SYNC thru the years of it's upgrade "path" would be able to help you locate a "unburned unit" that can then be integrated into your vehicle so that you are not throwing money away at Amazon, eBay or any type of "Ali-blabba" site that make claims that "this works for your year of vehicle".

When you look at how many countries they (Automakers) have to try and import to as well as pass their own laws - as well as the trim lines of them - and the way they even get imported into the country - the sites that claim it will work - often do not have representatives in each of these countries to even verify such claims.

Please, as you research this further - do not be swayed by those that try to offer you their junk in exchange for a hope that doesn't exist.

Wish you the best for this Holiday season, and please keep in touch with us as you work through your journey thru this.