Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

195/55 R16 tires on a 2014 Fiesta SE?

Hi folks,

First post on fordfiesta.org, I found the forums googling around about tire sizes. I'm the happy owner of a 2014 Fiesta SE sedan, which has been, hands down, the best car I've owned. 80,000 kilometres, and its been absolutely problem free. It's a fun little car to drive to and from work daily (150km round trip).

At 80,000 km, and with winter looming here in Ontario, Canada, it's time for new tires. The tires I'd really like to put on, based on past experience, are the All-Weather Hankook Optimo 4S, which are far better performing in the winter than traditional all-seasons. I've used them on another vehicle in the past, and really liked them.

Here's the issue though - my Fiesta SE has 16" rims, running the OEM 195/50 R16 tires, and the Hankook's are only available in 195/55 R16. This is about a 3.2% increase in diameter, or 0.77" (so an increase of just over a quarter inch radius, which I guess is the most important consideration clearance-wise).

I realize it has implications for handling and also for things like speedometer accuracy, and I'm not overly worried about either of those; it's a commuter vehicle, and I tend to drive the speed limit regardless, so a +/- 3% variance in speedometer reading isn't a big deal.

What I am concerned about though, obviously is fit - is there any chance the 195/55 size will result in risk of rubbing under normal operation conditions?

It's extremely hard to find good advice on this, and I'm hoping for some practical, or even better, tried-and-true advice on the subject.

Thank you in advance, it's much appreciated!

-Scott

Welcome aboard!

Most tire shops will tell you if you stay within the 3% range you should be safe. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all Brand sizes are going to be the same. I know that even within the same size but different brands tires will fit differently.

OP
S
Thread Starter #3
Welcome aboard!

Most tire shops will tell you if you stay within the 3% range you should be safe. The other thing to keep in mind is that not all Brand sizes are going to be the same. I know that even within the same size but different brands tires will fit differently.
Thanks Mike! Appreciate the response, I hate being a "first-post with a question", but what can you do :)

That 3% guideline does seem to be the rule of thumb, and a gearhead friend of mine says it will be fine as well - more opinions are always welcome!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Wheels, Tires, Chasis, Brakes & Suspension 6