Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford along with other manufacturers doesn't want you to mod your cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
State
MI
Country
United States
One of the inherent rights of owning a vehicle is the ability to get on one's backside - a wrench in one hand and a grease rag in the other, and just tinker to your little heart's desire. Since the vehicle was invented, it's been an important facet within the community of gearheads.

General Motors - the same company responsible for 87 deaths related to faulty ignition switches, FYI - wants to take that right away from you citing safety and security issues. Along with a few other big names.

It's called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA). It's been around since 2000 and started as anti-Internet piracy legislation. But automakers want to use it to try and make working on your own car illegal. Yes, illegal. The general premise is that unlike cars of the past, today's vehicles are so advanced and use such a large amount of software and coding in their general makeup, altering said code could be dangerous and possibly even malicious.

Listing the vehicle as a "mobile computing device," the law would hypothetically protect automakers from pesky owners looking to alter any sort of technology in the vehicle that relates to the onboard computer. Flashing your ECU would be a big no no, which could also lead to all sorts of problems for aftermarket shops.

What GM, and even tractor companies like John Deere, argues is that you, as an owner, don't actually own your car. Rather, you're sort of just borrowing it for an extended amount of time and paying for the rights to use the technology. If it sounds ridiculous- it is. But it gets even more ludicrous.

According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation, John Deere argued that "letting people modify car computer systems will result in them pirating music through the on-board entertainment system."

That's right- pirating music. Through a tractor.

DMCA does give a little bit of leeway, though. While the act could hypothetically lock customers out of key safety features, it would still allow owners the ability to repair other areas of the vehicle's onboard computer as they see fit. It's a slim compromise, but one that may be more closely based in reality.

As it currently sits, there are 13 large automakers on the list supporting the DMCA. Want to know who they are? Of course you do:

• General Motors Company
  • BMW Group
  • FCA US LLC
  • Ford Motor Company
  • Jaguar Land Rover
  • Mazda
  • Mercedes-Benz USA
  • Mitsubishi Motors
  • Porsche
  • Toyota
  • Volkswagen Group of America
  • Volvo Cars North America

Ironically, one of the brands that relies most on technology in its vehicles - Tesla Motors - in not in support of DMCA. While other American companies like GM, Ford and Chrysler all agree that working on your own vehicle should be punishable by law.

Funny how three brands that pride themselves on American ingenuity don't want customers to work on their cars.

Article Source https://www.yahoo.com/autos/s/gm-ford-others-want-working-own-car-illegal-160000229.html

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
This subject is only the tip of the iceburg.......

Not being able to do engine controller reflashes is one big sticky area. I think most automakers will provide some limited reflash capability on certain models to give enthusiasts a path toward what they want. I think some features will become undefeatable because of federal mandates. These features would be stability and traction controls. The 2011 Fiesta had traction controls that were baked in. No provision beyond pulling a fuse would overide it. Ford made no mention of this in any advance information at launch or in product information or specs at point of sale. It was for the customer to discover.It would be a good thing if automakers would at least state openly what amount of reflash and disable capability a given model has in its 1. engine controls,IE; can it be reflashed only for servce upgrades or can fuel mapping and idle strategies also be tweeked? 2. infotainment and audio, are these upgradeable or have an edit feature capability.3. THE ONE NOBODY SPEAKS OF. Event data recorders or EDR. This is hardwired into the vehicle (Fiesta too) that records Your speed at time of airbag deployment or sudden vehicle manuvers for up to 30 seconds as well as steering wheel angle, throttle-position and "other "unspecified data sets. I would take those to include if the driver was using the phone or text through Sync. OH, I should also mention that you don't control that information. Law enforcement can tap that data to allow your Fiesta, in this case, to testify against you in court. That is good ifo' to know.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
As an added aside. The O.P. mentioned GM as being either hypocritical over reactive on modified systems. They ALL are concerned about warranty costs with good reason. Many people would not believe the stupid things people try to do with their cars! A better example of being a true "dick" to their customers and the height of hypocrisy would be Mitsubishi motors, Maker of the Lancer evolution and Eclipse sport cars. They were front and center in using the fast and furious movies as a venue for promotion of their brand and then turned around and actually had employees go online and search entry lists at autocrosses and track events for names that were cross referenced with Mitsu' owner lists to VOID their powertrain warranties! Now there is an example of how to use a performance image to build a brand and then screw your customer for choosing you because of it! I stand behind my assertion here because i know people that happended to. So, go ahead and call me a liar! I can can bring it as well! That stuff needs to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.