Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Ford Fiesta SE manual question

This has happened me a few times, when I am driving forward, I will downshift from 3rd to 2nd, but when i try to downshift from 2nd to 1st, when I'm going slow, it hesitates and doesn't allow me too until I stop. Also, I was in a driveway, put it in reverse, but I didn't have to press the gas due to the driveway being on a hill. I took the car out of gear, and as I tried putting it back into reverse, it started grinding gears, tried two times, happened both times. I had to be stopped to put it in gear. Any suggestions?

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
correct. dont know what it could be, and for it to also give me problems going into first gear when im going like 10-5 mph

rooSTer

Premium Account
I'm thinking perhaps it might be bad throwout bearings which can cause the grinding noise. Have you talk to your dealer yet? Might want to have them take a look at your clutch too.

OP
G
Thread Starter #7
I am going to see if it happens again and see what happens, ive been driving and still have a problem with 1st gear, this weekend going to try the reverse thing again

rooSTer

Premium Account
Either way it wouldn't hurt to make an appointment just to see, you're still under warranty and theyll probably give you a free loaner.

scotman

Well-Liked Member
Premium Account
City
Grass Lake
State
MI
Country
United States
What I Drive
2011 Fiesta SE hbk Blue
Reverse is not syncronized. I have done 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 downshifts as a normal course of driving with no problem I do not think it would be a good idea to do forced 2 to 1 downshifts at speeds above 7 mph. !st gear is just NOT good for road speeds much above "crawl" or "launch" rates. The ratios we have to work with are not for performance enjoyment.

Fiestyone

Scotman is correct, no syncros for reverse! If you shift into 1st before reverse it will not grind.

Reverse is not syncronized. I have done 5 to 4 and 4 to 3 downshifts as a normal course of driving with no problem I do not think it would be a good idea to do forced 2 to 1 downshifts at speeds above 7 mph. !st gear is just NOT good for road speeds much above "crawl" or "launch" rates. The ratios we have to work with are not for performance enjoyment.