Welcome to the #1 Ford Fiesta Forum and Ford Fiesta community dedicated to Ford Fiesta owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Ford Fiesta Forum today!

Fiesta 2005, 1.4 16v duratec - snapped off plugs :-(

Arlio

Hi guys and gals,
Heres my story.....
4 months ago i bought a near mint condition late 2005 fiesta 1.4 16valve duratec. Had a full UK MOT put on it, on the way back from the garage it developed a misfire.

With this in mind i bought new spark plugs, new ht leads and a new ignition coil, aswell as new oil and oil filter.
I then decided to do spark plugs first, basically after pulling off the leads i found a small amount of water in the spark plug wells, before i removed the plugs. I then sucked out the offending water (not coolant or oil, just rain water i suspect), then set to work on removing the plugs. I managed to get two out but on the 3rd plug i had issues....it snapped off BELOW the nut, leaving the threaded collar part in the hole !!

Now after advice taken from local mechanics, i was advised to find an 'eaze-out' extractor bit. Left handed thread so hoping as it cut a thread into the broken peice, that it would wind out the offending broken peice of spark plug.
Now i have found myself with an extractor bit stuck solid in the hole, which is a double nightmare!! A local mechanic is currently trying to remove the extractor bit so it can be sent to an engineering firm to be drilled out and helicoiled.

So, my question is this.... Are there any guides or help regarding removing the head on the 1.4 duratec engine anywhere?? I am new to these duratec engines, ive not had a ford before, in my 25 years of driving!! Ive gota say my first experience is not a good one!! The long threaded, thin spark plugs with no crush washer design is a little flawed if you ask me. Seems the rocker design is prone to gathering water from the environment, which seems not too well thought out. I have learned that the newer engines dont have the same issues, so ford have remedied the design flaw (all cars have them i guess.)

My plan if the extractor bit cannot be removed is to remove the head myself to take it to an engineering firm for helicoil. Maybe a replacement head would be cheaper, who knows!!

Apologies for such a long post, i just feel i have to cover all the points in my first experience of this ford engine. Hopefully someone on the forum can point me in the right direction for head removal, without me warping it by removing it incorrectly. I be so so grateful for any help towards a guide, pictures included if at all possible.

Thanks for reading.
Arlo.

State
MI
Country
United States
That really sucks sorry to hear but there's really know easy way to remove the head. There might be some videos on youtube if you plan on doing it yourself. One thing I would recommend is make sure you torque the screws properly when putting the head back on.